Polski3's View from Here

Quote of some personal revelence: "Is a dream a lie, that don't come true, or is it something worse?"

Sunday, November 27, 2005

End of Thanksgiving Break, circa 1986

As the sun rises over the Algodones Dunes in a few hours, I will be rising to begin a three week stretch until Christmas Break. (the "Winter" holiday for you PC people who might be reading this). As my history classes have just begun "Medieval Europe", there is a plethora of things I can do with them. But that is NOT what I want to write about.

Years ago, when I started my first full-time teaching job, the end of Thanksgiving Break usually entailed an 6-7 hour drive 'home'. Home was a one-bedroom half of a trailer parked next to a public school in the Navajo Nation. I usually drove down to Phoenix to visit my Grandma and one of my uncles who lived there. Sometimes the trip was fast, other times it was delayed by mother nature, such as the year I hit black ice on highway 89 near Sunset Crater and ended up with my truck stuck off the side of the highway. I was ok after this "ride like you never get at Disneyland" and hitched a ride into Flagstaff. Fortunately, I had friends in Flagstaff whom I could stay the night with. The AAA tow truck wouldn't be available until the next morning. I called my Grandma and told her I'd be late and how about thanksgiving dinner on Friday? She was glad I wasn't hurt and just get there safely.
The next morning, I got a ride out to my truck with the tow truck. The Arizona Department of Public Safety (State Police/Troopers) was there. I explained to the officer what had happened while the tow truck wrenched my truck back onto the highway. No citation or anything as no one was hurt nor was my truck damaged.
Several hours later, I was down in sunny Phoenix. Had dinner out with my Grandma, visited with her and tracked down my uncle at one of his favorite saloons. For several years, this was a typical thanksgiving break.
Now, here it is, years later. Thanksgiving is usually spent with family, but here in the comfort of my own home. There are no long drives to make, weather to worry about or 'saloons' to visit. And for that, I am thankful.

Are you, my readers interested in hearing more stories about my days teaching in the Navajo Nation? Please leave me a comment.

Thanks for reading my blog. As always, your comments are welcome!